Wednesday, May 20, 2009

About the book...



The original Marathi book, Hridayastha, was published on 23rd May 2004, and the first edition was sold out within the first two months. The second edition did even better. So far twelwe thousand copies have been sold.

I never thought even in my wildest dreams that I would be called upon to give an account of Nitu and my life together, spanning more than three decades. However, looking back I realized that the minute I fell in love with Nitu, life took a strange and beautiful turn. One surprising event after the other kept unfolding. I was the one who got the most of this wonderful human being who tied so many people in the delicate bond of his love. I got the unique opportunity to see many innate facets of his personality, some tender, some rough, some humble and some aggressive.

As Nitu grew in stature, popularity and fame I basked in his glory. He never let go of my hand. It was as if he was drawing his energy from me. He was uncomfortable whenever I showed my displeasure over anything. Whenever he found me in a happy mood his heart seemed to soar, rather like an eagle towards his goals. I had a special place in his heart, an unwavering presence.  Aware of it, I used to draw great comfort and security from that feeling. I was always shy, unsure and defensive about my abilities. However, Nitu never failed to give me encouragement and praise me publicly. I was a willing companion to Nitu at every step of our life together. He was by my side as I grappled with my family issues and problems relating to my medical career. His mother had warned me in my first meeting with her, “He does exactly what he likes, he doesn’t like anybody to interfere with his decisions and nobody should try to do that.” I lived the truth of her statement till the very last minute. Come to think of it, I was not the kind who would be swept off my feet, but love is a tremendous energy. It helped me to counter a virtual hurricane called Nitu. I was not capable of understanding how soaring his ambitions were; however, when I saw his attempts to realize his dreams I became conscious at every step about his extraordinary qualities. I have the greatest regard for Nitu. I was constantly nagged by the feeling that while trying to reveal all facets of his colourful personality I would end up doing injustice to him and to the respect so many felt for him. But this book has been compared with the books of famous authors who have written about their life partners and that in itself is an acknowledgement of its merit.

After Nitu’s sudden death, my father, Kaka, wrote me a letter. He expressed a wish that I write about and reveal the various facets of Nitu’s personality and life. I realised that I too wanted to tell everything about Nitu, who had left for his journey into the next world without a word to anyone. When a close relative suggested that I am the right person to write Nitu's biography, I was shocked. I was not a writer. Moreover, I may not remember everything. I was plagued by self-doubt. I was in a trance for the first few months of writing about each aspect of Nitu’s temperament. It was as if I was meeting him again and again. It was as if he was preparing me for this moment all his life. The inspiration that he had given me during his lifetime will last me till the end of my life.

Many people told me that once they started reading the book they could not put it down until they reached the very end. The main reason for it is Nitu’s attractive personality. This book is a description of my life together with Nitu and the experiences I had gathered over the years.

If Nitu was alive he would have been happy with the response. The thought of his roaring laughter amuses me. He would have said, “Look, didn’t I tell you that mine was an extraordinary life, but you wanted to be a shy lily, bending your head all the time to the ground with embarrassment at the thought of somebody watching you. Now you are realising your own strength.”

I sincerely hope that through my efforts, our story inspires readers across the globe. In keeping with this thought, this year I resolved to reach a wider audience through this blog.

Dr. (Mrs) Alka N. Mandke.


23 comments:

  1. hi this is a great blog...now you can reach out to more and respond to people's comments online...congratulations

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy to read this blog. Please keep more coming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,
    Very well done and written. I am happy to see an addition on 22nd MAy
    Shubhada

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,
    very well done. Very happy to read it on 22nd May. Congratulations!
    Shubhada

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our society will remember Dr.Mandke forever for his humanitarian work, helping the needy persons, the poor people and the ill fated people.
    I express my feelings to you and your family and pray to god for the blessings.

    Bakul Trivedi (Surat)

    ReplyDelete
  6. HI!
    Great Blog! Thanks ...

    Dr. Nitu Mandke's life is a true inspiration and guiding force for all who dare to dream! In the words of the great American poet Longfellow:

    Lives of great men all remind us
    We can make our lives sublime
    And departing leave behind us
    Footprints on the sands of time.

    Footprints that perhaps another
    Sailing over life's solemn main
    A forlorn and shipwrecked brother
    Seeing shall take heart again.

    Look forward to more!

    Rajeev

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great Blog! The narrative style as well as the sincerity of heart is so touching!
    It always leaves me speechless and awestruck reading about your life together, your challenges.... and in general about you.
    Keep writing..
    Will follow the blog.

    Shama

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very good initiative Dr. Mrs. Mandke. I have personally met Dr. Nitu Mandke during his Ahmednagar visit when I was in 12th standard and those were the most memorable 3 hours I spent of my life. I pray God to bless him wherever he is and to bless his family members too. He will always be remembered.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Is there any efforts to translate the book in English? I live in USA and I am sure to visit the hospital at the end of this year.


    I think about him every day
    And why he had to go away
    Why he left us with fears
    Along with all of our tears
    As we saw them place him on the pyre
    Knowing he will no longer be around
    Oh woe, never see him walking the corridors
    When we used to ride under the stars
    I never got a chance to say goodbye
    Stunned by a bolt of misery, I even forgot to cry.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello mam,
    mi kal tumche book wachle. wachlyawar aksharshaha radayala lagle . Dr. sirana HATS OFF........! asa Hira parat hone nahi. mazi pan Date of birth 31st January 1984 ahe. just coincidence pan chhan watle . kharach 2 wela wachle pustak mi.thanks for writing book which is very encouraging for our and next generation also.Thanks once again.

    ReplyDelete
  11. hello mam,
    very well done. i am very happy to read it on 26th oct. Congratulations! and thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello mam, nice and inspiring to read your profile. i am yet to read the book Hridayasth which i will very soon. thanks and all the best for all.

    Pushpa Sawaikar

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good afternoon mam, I am doing my PG COURSE On inspiration from HRIDAYASTH BOOK. I have not read new edition. can u help me to get new edition. THANK YOU.
    DR. NITIN SARATE MD(GEN.MED)III YR RESIDENT
    LTMGH,SION hospital.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have just recently read the book "Hridayasth" .It was really touching and mesmerizing. We really salute to the passion, dedication and commitment of Mr Nitu Mandke Sir.Our Country has lost real hero.His relentless and selfless service towards mankind will always be remembered.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Definitely one of the Great book I read. But after reading I felt that one Question Badly,
    Does God Really Exist...??? The person who saved so many life's.... There was no one to save his life....??? He is really a great HERO....
    Hats off to Him...

    ReplyDelete
  16. This book is giving the inspiration to other......i read that book....and it is 1St book i read upto the end..... if all people will behave like nitu sir then one day come that the everyone get happy in their life....

    ReplyDelete
  17. I attained the release of the Hindi edition of this book at Indore & read it twice. You wrote this book by heart so it touches the heart of the reader. My eyes became wet several times while reading this book. I met Neetu sir at my college i.e. MGM Medical college ,Indore first & unfortunately last time. This book will give inspirations to many on many aspects of life years after years.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi mam, i m dr mahale, i have not met dr nitu mandke ever in my life, but after reading your book i feel like he is not unkown person anymore, i have always wanted to see his dream hospital u talked about in your book... and today i m sitting in my ideal doctors dream hospital... i m here for my 10 days old sons tvpcr operate... thank u dr mandke for draming hospital like this... wish he is here to see his dream...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Mam, just read your book, Hridayasth in Marathi. I was very eager to know about Dr Nitu Mandake Sir's life. You had written the book by heart. Reading your book was like watching all the incidence as of they are happening before reader's eyes. Also hats of to you, for supporting such huge person to do for what he had dreamed. Loosing such a person, life partner, must not be easy for you. However you did your best to bring Sir's dream in reality. I was happy to read that you were visiting Kolhapur at Dr Deelip Kulkarni Sir's hospital. I am also from Kolhapur. Your book cleared many doubts about Sir's life. Wish you all the best.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Mam, just read your book, Hridayasth in Marathi. I was very eager to know about Dr Nitu Mandake Sir's life. You had written the book by heart. Reading your book was like watching all the incidence as of they are happening before reader's eyes. Also hats of to you, for supporting such huge person to do for what he had dreamed. Loosing such a person, life partner, must not be easy for you. However you did your best to bring Sir's dream in reality. I was happy to read that you were visiting Kolhapur at Dr Deelip Kulkarni Sir's hospital. I am also from Kolhapur. Your book cleared many doubts about Sir's life. Wish you all the best.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Dr., the other day my mom forwarded the following message to me on whatsapp....

    I could not find any related post online.

    Could you please verify/validate the following ...

    Thanks in advance.



    *�� ज्यांचा देवावर विश्वास नाही त्याने जरुर वाचा ...��*

    भारतातील प्रख्यात *हार्ट - स्पेशालिस्ट डाॅ. मांडके* आज खूप आनंदात होते.

    त्याला कारणही तसेच होते. नुकताच त्यांना त्यांच्या शोधनिबंधासाठी एक प्रतिष्ठेचा पुरस्कार जाहीर झाला होता.

    त्या समारंभाला उपस्थित राहण्यासाठी ते *विमानाने* दिल्लीला जायला निघाले होते.

    ठरल्या वेळी विमानाने उड्डाण केले.

    *डाॅ. मांडके* विचारात गढून गेले होते. त्या शोधनिबंधासाठी त्यांनी अपार कष्ट घेतले होते. रात्रंदिवस ते संशोधनात मग्न असत. अनेक विचारांची दाटी झाली होती त्यांच्या मनात....



    इतक्यात ....'


    अचानक ...विमानाचे *आपातकालीन लँडींग* करण्यात आले.


    *डाॅ. मांडके* समारंभाला वेळेवर पोहोचण्याच्या काळजीत पडले...

    विमानतळावरील अधिकारी त्यांना म्हणाले की पुढची फ्लाईट 10 तासांनी आहे.

    त्यामुळे डाॅक्टरांनी *एक कार* भाड्याने घेऊन पुढे जायचे ठरवले.

    जवळपास 5 ते 6 तासांचा तो प्रवास होता.

    त्यांना गाडीने जायचा कंटाळा आला होता कारण ते दमलेले होते आणि त्यांना थोडा आराम हवा होता.

    पण काहीच पर्याय नसल्याने ते गाडी चालवत निघाले....


    प्रवास सुरु होऊन एखादा तास झाला होता ..इतक्यात ..वातावरण अचानक बदलले आणि खूप *जोराचा पाऊस* सुरु झाला..

    रस्त्यावरचे बोर्ड नीट दिसत नव्हते.
    बरेच अंतर पुढे गेल्यावर त्यांच्या लक्षात आले की ते *रस्ता चुकले* आहेत...


    पावसाचा जोर वाढतच चालला होता. नाईलाजाने *आसरा* शोधून थांबावेच लागणार होते...


    सुदैवाने थोड्याच अंतरावर त्यांना एक लहानसे *कौलारु घर* दिसले.

    कसेबसे ते तिथे पोहोचले आणि त्यांनी घराचा *दरवाजा ठोठावला.*


    एका *तरुण स्त्रीने* दार उघडले आणि अगत्याने त्यांना आत येण्यास सांगितले.

    तिचे घर अगदीच साधे होते. घरात सामानही अगदी थोडेच होते. कोणत्याच महागड्या वस्तू नव्हत्या.

    त्या स्त्रीने डाॅक्टरांसाठी *चहा आणि काही बिस्किट आणले.*

    जरा वेळाने ती म्हणाली ..

    माझी *प्रार्थनेची वेळ* झाली आहे. आपण माझ्यासोबत प्रार्थना करणार का?


    डाॅक्टरांचा फक्त *कर्मयोगावर* विश्वास असल्याने त्यांनी नम्रपणे नकार दिला!

    ती स्त्री उठली आणि एका छोट्या कोनाड्यात असलेल्या *मुर्तिसमोर दिवा लावून प्रार्थना करायला लागली*...

    प्रत्येक कडव्यानंतर ती तिथे ठेवलेला एक छोटासा *पाळणा* हलवत होती.

    डाॅक्टर तिचे निरिक्षण करत होते आणि त्यांच्या मनात तिला विचारण्यासाठी अनेक प्रश्न तयार होते!


    काही वेळाने तिची *प्रार्थना संपली.* ...

    डाॅ. नी तिला विचारले ...

    या सगळ्यांचा तुम्हाला *काही उपयोग झाला का कधी?*

    देवाने कधी तुमची *हाक ऎकली आहे का?*

    आणि तुम्ही तो *छोटासा पाळणा का हलवत होतात?*

    ....


    त्या स्त्रीच्या चेहे-यावर अचानक खिन्नता आली...

    खोल आवाजात ती म्हणाली ...

    *माझ्या 2 वर्षांच्या मुलाला जन्मत: ह्रुदयरोग आहे*..
    मुंबईतील प्रख्यात *डाॅ. मांडके* सोडून त्याचा इलाज कोणीही करू शकणार नाही. पण त्यांच्याकडे जाण्यासाठी माझ्याजवळ *पुरेसे पैसे नाहीत..*

    *मी रोज देवाला प्रार्थना करते की कसेही करुन मला त्यांच्यापर्यंत ने आणि माझ्या मुलाला जीवदान दे. मला खात्री आहे.. एक दिवस देव मला नक्की मदत करेल*..."



    ...



    *पुढचे बरेच क्षण तिथे सुन्न शांतता पसरली*...


    *डाॅ. मांडके*अगदी स्तब्ध झाले ...
    काय बोलावे ते कळेनाच त्यांना ...

    *त्यांनी मागच्या काही तासांमध्ये घडलेल्या घटनाचक्राचा विचार केला*.

    कोणतेच लक्षण नसताना *हवामान खराब* होऊन विमान ठरलेल्या ठिकाणी पोहोचले नाही....

    गाडीने जाताना पावसाने *रस्ता चुकला ...*

    याच घरात *आसरा घ्यावा लागला* ...

    आणि ...आता त्या स्त्रीने सांगितलेली *वस्तुस्थिती*....


    ...

    काय अद्भूत् .. *चमत्कारच* जसा ..

    काही क्षणातच डाॅ. भानावर आले. त्यांनी तिला त्यांची *ओळख सांगितली* आणि वातावरण ठीक झाल्यावर *तिला आणि तिच्या बाळाला घेऊन ते मुंबईला निघाले ...!*


    ...


    *सोबत आणखी एक गोष्टपण घेतली त्यांनी ....*


    *देवावरची अपार निष्ठा !*

    ...


    *कोणत्याही पुरस्कारापेक्षा खूप काही जास्त मिळाले होते त्यांना..!!*

    *या जगात कोणतीतरी शक्ती नक्कीच आहे, ती कोण त्या रूपात आहे सांगता येत नाही, प्रत्येक धर्मात वेग वेगळी तत्व सांगितली आहेत,पण *SUPRIME SOUI आहे एवढे मात्र नक्की*......!!!!
    ����☺

    ReplyDelete
  22. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  23. नमस्कार
    स्वाध्याय परिवाराचे पूजनिय दादा आणि आदरणीय डॉ नितु मांडके यांचे भेटीचे फोटो माहिती उपलब्ध असेल तर सांगाल

    ReplyDelete